Tuesday 12 May 2009

Royal Anglian Regiment: Aaron McClure honoured

The name of Aaron James McClure of 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment has joined those of other members of Britain's Armed Forces who are commemorated on the War Memorial which stands in Christchurch Park in his home town of Ipswich.

During a re-dedication ceremony yesterday the names of 15 servicemen from the town who died for their country in WW2 and in conflicts since, were added to the roll of honour on the War Memorial.

Aaron McClure was killed aged 19 while serving with the Battalion in Afghanistan in August 2007.

His mother Lorraine McClure said: "Aaron used to come up here on Remembrance Sunday to pay his respects, but I never thought his name would be up there. For as long as the cenotaph stands Aaron's name will be there, it makes me feel really, really proud. I always think I can't get any more proud but on days like this I am. But it breaks my heart at the same time.”

Never forgotten.

Ipswich Evening Star: Fallen heroes remembered at service