Saturday 13 June 2009

Ed Macy's "Apache": in the cabin but it felt like being in the cockpit

I got kicked out of my room yesterday in Naples at 10:00 and my flight back to the UK wasn't until 16:50. But instead of having to pass the time counting the hours, I had the great good fortune to have with me Ed Macy's latest book "Apache".

The account of his second tour in Afghanistan - the awesome power of the Apache helicopter, the skills and characters of the Army Air Corps pilots and ground crew, the descriptions of combat in Afghanistan and the heroic, incredible rescue of Lance Corporal Mathew Ford, Royal Marines - was, quite simply, amazing.

My only regret was that I didn't have access to the Internet as that would also have let me look up the videos and pictures linked to specific pages in the book.I finished the book somewhere over the Alps and passed the rest of the flight re-reading bits.

You can read the first chapter online at www.edmacy.com - you'll then have to go and buy the book!